Monday, July 28, 2008

Office Evangelism

If I were to travel the world trying to convert people to something, religion is the last thing I’d choose to preach about. Believe or don’t believe in whatever deity you want—I have bigger fish to fry. You see, dear readers (don’t you just love that phrase?), there are people walking the world right now that don’t know the bliss that is mail merge. There are people perambulating the planet that have never experienced the ecstasy of conditional formatting. There are people tottering through their time on this terra firma that wouldn’t know how to set a transparent color, add a toolbar or toggle between their master page and their publication page if their life depended on it. Doesn’t this disturb you?? It should.

Forget the Office Linebacker—I’d be the Office Evangelist (and not in the sense that I’ll be preaching Godbuddhallahyahweh in the office…I already live that dream). Embrace the organization! Embrace the saving grace of to-do lists and color-coding! I will show you the way. Yes, I have suffered persecution for my beliefs, but I ignore the harassment, because they all come back seeking organizational guidance eventually.


Today at work I taught Maurice how to find his lost toolbars, introduced Twanisha to the joys of photo format conversion, solved Denise’s background color problem, berated Russell over IM for missing out on the magic of mail merge, and even taught myself the formula for inserting today’s date into an Excel cell. All in a day’s work for an Office Evangelist.


p.s. Beware, No-Longer-Phlummoxicated... 'Pierogi' sounds like code for drugs to me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the creator of that 'To-do' list's priorities. Now since they've figured that one out, will they share?

RiCap said...

I agree, you should share. I want to hear all about how to do conditional formatting. I did Mail Merge once. It was tough, so is color coding.

Sarah said...

Mike, I'm all about prioritizing my to-do lists. And yes, their priorities are in the right place. As far as what they figured out, I think that's one I'll have to let you experiment with on your own...

Adrienne, conditional formatting lets you say, for example, highlight any cell in this column whose number is greater than zero. If you really want to know how, I'm happy to explain. Also, mail merge isn't tough, and it has about 7777777 different uses, from Camp Sparky bid sheets to donor thank you letters. I'm surprised you don't use it more in your job...but then again, I was surprised Nathan & Russell had never heard of it, and Corey had heard rumors but never tried it.

I guess they do say ignorance is bliss, but I can't help but feel sad for all the uninformed...

RiCap said...

I thought the point of your blog was to enlighten all of us poor souls. Please do give step by step instructions where necessary. Come to think of it I've probably done conditional formatting and just didn't know it. I don't think I've had reason to use mail merge, but then again maybe I did and just didn't know it. Use your guru status as an Office Evangelist to bring clarity and understanding to us poor masses.

Sarah said...

I'm an Office Evangelist with a short attention span. Blogging about the same topic twice? Unlikely. Ish.