10) I’m as American as apple pie. Probably more so. The Mapes family came over with the pilgrims, and no cold winters or Oregon Trail diseases could kill us off. Also, every Mapes in American history can be traced back to one dude named Thomas Mapes. Apparently, he was known as a ladies’ man throughout the pilgrim villages.
9) My immediate family is not very famous, compared to all the other Mapes’ out there. The first of us to appear in my search was Casey, on page 11. I went through the first 50 pages, and none of the rest of us were mentioned... That being said, Mary Mapes, the disgraced CBS journalist made up a good 40% of the hits.
8) Oddly enough though, in all those 50 pages there were ZERO Sarahs, Lindys, Melissas, or Lauries. The only Casey was actually our Casey. And there were a few Johns, but no Jons. Who knew SARAH was an unusual name??
7) I may not be famous in regular web searches, but I’ve got TWO photos in the top 20 image pages! Although, Lindy got me in the State Press, so I have to give her some credit for that one.
6) At one point in time, there was a lawsuit called Mapes v. The United States Government. I don’t know who won, but I didn’t get any money, sadly.
5) My great-great-uncle (the one who invented the Toe Loop in ice skating…still called the Mapes jump in roller skating) also co-starred in the 1938 movie Zero Girl. Sadly, Rotten Tomatoes didn’t have a review of it, to tell me if it’s worth renting.
4) Despite its historic status, the Mapes Hotel, in Reno, NV, was torn down several years ago. I knew that part already. What I didn’t know, was that their slogan was “Where the Action Is”…which I figure is more than appropriate for my family, and I’m going to lobby that we 86 the “Fortis in Arduis” (strength in adversity) on our family crest and replace it with the Mapes Hotel slogan.
3) The city of Mapes, ND is 1/3 as large as my high school in Anchorage was. Of their 1079 residents, there are 3 Asians, 0 African-Americans, and 1076 Caucasians. No wonder I’m so white…my relatives have been self-segregating for ages.
2) There is a punk band in Las Vegas called The Mapes. Their “hit” single is “I Gotta Get Drunk.”
1) Meet Roger Mapes. I think I see the resemblance.
0) The existence of this list is proof of my pathetic life.

2 comments:
LOL, I love your list. Keep on listing.
After looking into it, I think you're better off not associating with the case in #6. However that could be tough since Kenji M. Mapes, who was prosecuted would certainly fulfill the new family crest slogan.
Post a Comment