Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Forgetting Sarah Mapes

This past weekend I learned something about myself. I am NOT a quitter. Come snow, rain, sleet, hail, or 1.75L of margarita, I will not quit until the job is done. Father Dearest was a big proponent of this Never Quit attitude, and that combined with my Irish roots made for an excellent weekend. And by excellent, I mean, I had to convince a blurry paramedic that I was completely in control of my faculties and I got up close and personal with a few bushes that got to enjoy my margarita too. Thousands of miles away though, I was not the only one enjoying my weekend. I received this voicemail (spoken in the tune of what a Sine wave might sound like):

“Hello Sarah Mapes, this is Lindy Mapes calling you to say ahwuuusabbptttthh [unintelligible, but sort of like a cross between a wassup and a howl]. Hey you we’re out playing, uh, bar golf muchas mucha da de martega es muy bien [that’s as close as I can get to figuring our her drunk Spanish] um anyhoo we’re driving somewhere in a taxi right now so I don’t--Owwww my head just hit on the ceiling now my head’s squished against thinggggggggggggs. Anyway I hope that you have a fun night and I’m happy to say you are coming home soon and I just definitely want to go thing with the paddles and the boats. Anyway I love you beeeeeeep.”
The next day, her comment on said message was, “What message?” which is how I felt about most of my Saturday too—if I don’t remember it, did it really happen? I may not believe it actually happened, but I do enjoy storytime the next day, something Anika and Eleanor were so kind to help out with. All in all, a successful trip.

Stay Tuned for my next Pulitzer-Worthy Post: Double Dating for Dummies

3 comments:

RiCap said...

Oh I'm so intrigued. Double Dates for Dummies... Sarah you are an inspiration to me.

Anonymous said...

Aw man, you were in Phoenix and I missed it?! Oh well, next time I guess =\

Sarah said...

If only you had been there to save me when I drank too much...that would've been nice of you.