Monday, May 12, 2008

Back to the Future


Sometimes I feel like I split my time between the cutting edge and the dull butter knife of technology. I bought a camera today—a Sony a300 DSLR (woohoo!). Nathan bought a 46” Samsung HDTV a week or two ago…and a new laptop. Also, we got new satellite TV this weekend, with high-def in two rooms, and standard in a third. It’s several hundred channels, including broadcasts of every sporting event ever, including your neighbor’s weekend lawn-bowling tournament. We’ve got DVD burners, GPS units, surround sound speakers, and enough cords and chargers to rope off most of Denver.

Thennnnn…there’s the other half of my life. The half where I’m forced to use a 2MP point-and-shoot camera to take photos expected to be professional-quality. The half where the projector, the screen, and the cord that connects it to the laptop are stored 30 minutes apart from each other at separate buildings; not that it matters—not even the IT person knew that the projector would require a laptop. Perhaps she thought that it would project whatever she thought hard enough about? The other day I was called down to the basement at work to help label computer parts & peripherals. As in, this is a printer, this is a fax machine, and this is a CPU. Oh, sorry, switched back to my other life for a second there—printer, fax machine, and, uh, let’s call it a “computer brain”. It’s like they just stepped out of a time capsule from the early 80s and are seeing all the technology for the first time. And error messages? It’s like they’re written in Mandarin. A couple times a day I hear, “Red light, Sarah!” yelled from across the office, and ahhh, it takes me back to childhood games of Red Light Green Light…then I go fix the printer.

I hope I’m not supposed to now sum this post up into a witty and insightful commentary on the human condition. Or maybe draw some analogy to other, greater dichotomies in life. I’m still figuring this blogging stuff out…maybe the more I write, the more insightful I’ll get, and the less whining I’ll do. Maybe I’ll even think of something to write about that’s not work-related!

p.s. New camera! Woohoo!

2 comments:

RiCap said...

You have such a cool camera! Oh man I am soooo excited to see the pictures.
I'm not sure how you get away with going to work without a helmet. I'd be banging my head against a wall all day if I were you. As it is, my co-worker was telling me how her computer wasn't burning a disc and could I try with mine. I had to mention the little fact that neither of us has a CD burner.

Sarah said...

When I first read the "how you get away with going to work without a helmet" comment, I thought you were referencing my lack of grace...like how I used to have to wear one when I was a baby so I wouldn't hurt myself when I crawled backwards into things.

Your co-worker would get along marvelously with mine--we don't have CD burners either, and I get asked all the time to help with that. I'm gonna start telling them that "burning" their CD is a literal term, and they should put their hot cup of coffee on the blank CD.