Some people slow down when they get older. Some people's minds slow, some people's metabolisms slow, and some people's need for excitement and adrenaline rushes diminishes. Some people are not my parents.
Let me recount the last week of my parents' lives for you.
Day 1: Dad talks to neighbors, learns that they are going to move. Dad tells Mom. Mom walks next door and buys neighbors' house.
Day 2: Dad takes reps for the main meal replacement product used at Alaska Premier Health hiking. Reps joke about how they should open a new clinic in Oregon/Washington/California/etc. Dad jokes back that Hawaii would be a way more acceptable option. Mom decides to open a clinic in Hawaii.
Day 3: Mom offers Lindy job at said clinic in Hawaii. Mom posts jobs at said clinic and receives tons of resumes. Mom finds perfect building for said clinic.
Day 4: Mom flies a HI doctor to AK to see if they will oversee HI clinic. Dad decides they need another source of income with all this spending.
Day 5: Dad lists Mom & Dad's house on Craigslist. 30 minutes later, Dad meets with Canadian Consulate at Mom & Dad's house. Canadian Consulate agrees to rent their house for 2 years. Mom & Dad make plans to move to newly purchased neighbor's house in August.
Day 6: Lindy quits her job and gives away everything she owns except her dog and her car (which will be donated if it can't be sold in 24hrs).
Day 7: Lindy leaves for AZ tomorrow, and then home to AK until she has an office and a home in HI. Dad flies to AZ to buy an RV and then the two of them will drive back to AK.
Still with me? Or did I lose you somewhere along the way? It's okay, don't feel bad. I've had to repeat it over and over in my head to keep it straight. That's all for today...my synapses are still misfiring trying to comprehend it all.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
All in a (Mapes) Week's Work
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I just don't get it, why buy the RV instead of renting? It's all much too fast for me. I need time for these things to sink in. Tell your parents they need to slow down for my sake and to say hi to the Canadians.
They're buying the RV instead of renting it because they're "giving them away" in Arizona because they're so overstocked. A $200,000 RV (the Class A, big box kind) is selling for $35,000, and they're only a few years old with less than 50,000 miles on them. So they're buying one to "park it next to the house for you to borrow when you visit with our grandkids". Apparently our grandkids will be destructive, and thus, not allowed in the big house.
What...the...holy hell. I mean, nothing, I mean nothing. wow.
I'm assuming my parents are busy too since my Mom called sometime at the end of May and since I was driving I couldn't talk and she said she'd call me back but has yet to do so. Makes me think I should call to see if they're selling their house...
Post a Comment